I am pretty fickle when it comes to favorite foods. I bounce in and out of phases – sometimes driven by a change in the season, sometimes triggered by a delicious “something” that I had while eating out. Who knows. Whatever the reason, I get fixated for a bit and then quietly move on.
My most recent fav? Arugula. It has been making its way into EVERYTHING – tossed in with a grain salad, added to a frittata, enjoyed with nothing more than a little lemon juice, olive oil and some homemade toasted pumpkin seeds.
Arugula has also become one of my go-to pizza toppings. Inspired by Pizzeria Delfina’s prosciutto pie, I have started adding a generous handful to the top of my pizzas right before serving. Most often, I add it as-is. But it also works well lightly dressed. Maybe with a little olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt & pepper. Either way, the crisp, peppery flavor of arugula is a wonderful addition to most any pizza combo.
KITCHEN NOTE: Homemade pizzas are a weeknight regular around our house – they are so easy to make and take no time to cook. The key is having some dough on hand. To avoid a weeknight scramble, we make enough dough for 4-6 pizzas at a time, use one or two and then freeze the rest. The next time pizza night rolls around, we move the frozen dough to the fridge in the morning and its good to go by dinner.
1 whole wheat pizza dough
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 barely ripe pear, quartered, cored and thinly sliced
2 ozs prosciutto, sliced into 1/2″ ribbons
1 1/2 cup Pecorino Romano cheese, shredded
1 1/2 mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 generous handful of baby arugula
sea salt & freshly ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Roll out your dough to the desired thickness. (I recommend using a pizza stone. If you don’t have one on hand, a parchment lined baking sheet will work as well.)
- Coat the dough with the olive oil. Sprinkle with a generous pinch of salt.
- Spread the toppings out evenly, starting with the pear then the prosciutto. Cover with the cheese. Sprinkle with freshly ground pepper.
- Cook in the oven until the cheese has melted and the edges of the pizza crust start to brown, about 12 to 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes. Top with the arugula, slice and serve.