Junk food” is anything but nutritious. It’s high in calories and provides no uplifting value to your skin, cells, body, brain, or attitude. It’s just plain old JUNK.
If you haven’t checked out the “8 Tips to Beat Junk Food Cravings,” I encourage you to do so. There’s lots of great information in there to prepare your for success.
The other day, my dear friend Canela mentioned soft serve as one of her favorite “junk foods” during our Eat Life Whole Facebook convo and I couldn’t agree more. The smooth, creamy, and cool texture of Straus milk goodness from Super Duper is definitely a hit.
With a clear goal to recreate healthy alternatives to “junk food” favorites, I took on the challenge of making a SIMPLE soft serve recipe, filled with whole, real foods, no sugar, and healthy fats. It tastes so yum and yes, kids can eat it too!
The soft serve calls for 3 ingredients: frozen bananas, avocado, and almond butter, while the chocolate magic shell calls for 2 ingredients: coconut oil and quality, dark chocolate.
Creamy Soft Serve
2 bananas, peeled, cut into 2” pieces, and frozen
1 tablespoon almond butter (or other nut butters)
- Toss the frozen banana pieces and ½ of an avocado into a food processor (or blender) and chop until the frozen bananas break down into a soft serve consistency.
- Add the almond butter and process/blend for a few more seconds.
- Top with a teaspoon of the Chocolate Magic Shell and throw in the freezer for 1-2 minutes until the chocolate hardens. Serve immediately.
Dark Chocolate Magic Shell
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 oz. (or 1 tablespoon) dark chocolate (or dark chocolate chips)
- In a small skillet (or microwave), melt the chocolate and coconut oil. Stir.
- Pour over soft serve or fruit (like chocolate covered strawberries).
- Harden by placing the soft serve or fruit in the freezer for 1-2 minutes until firm.
NOTE: Store extra chocolate magic shell in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 2 months. Re-melt to use again.
Yields ~ 2 tablespoons