This super easy sushi bowl recipe has interchangeable toppings. Follow the steps below to build your own sushi bowl:
- Greens (predominant ingredient on the bottom)
- Herbs (for freshness)
- Protein (fish, eggs, chicken, beef)
- Sprouts (for ‘live’ nutrients and texture)
- Watery Veggies (for crunch)
- Seaweed (for minerals and flavor)
- Black Sesame Seeds (for flavor)
- Mushrooms (for flavor and fullness/umami)
- Avocado (for good fats)
- Starchy Vegetables or Grains (i.e. – ⅓ cup sweet potato, brown rice, or quinoa for texture)
- Pickled/fermented Veggies (i.e. – kimchee or raw kraut for flavor and digestive pros)
1 ½ cups napa cabbage (lettuce, kale, and bok choy are also great)
⅓ cup brown rice (or quinoa)
½ of a scrambled egg, sliced
Small handful of sprouts
Small handful of spinach, cooked and drained
Small handful of radishes, thinly sliced
Pinch of seaweed (nori), sliced
Toasted black sesame seeds (or regular)
3 oz. cooked salmon (raw, sushi grade fish, chicken, or shrimp are also great)
1 shiitake mushroom, sliced
¼ of avocado, sliced
1 tablespoon kimchee or raw sour kraut
OTHER TOPPING IDEAS: mango, cucumber, pickled ginger, asparagus
½ tablespoon toasted sesame oil
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
Juice from ½ of a lemon
Pinch of sea salt
- Load the bottom of a medium bowl with the napa cabbage (or other greens).
- Neatly arrange the other toppings.
- Pour the dressing over everything.
**IDEA** – this makes for a GREAT, PACKABLE LUNCH too! Instead of using a bowl, load everything up in a sealable container and take it to work. You can easily pack 3-5 of these on a Sunday evening and enjoy them all week long.