Unfortunately those more affordable options are filled with ingredients that aren’t the best for vibrant, healthy bodies. They include things like: high fructose corn syrup, caramel color, sorbic acid (a preservative), cellulose gum, and so on.
If the excess sugar is not enough to make you feel sluggish, I’m sure the artificial coloring and preservatives will do the trick.
So what to do?
You have options:
- Buy the real stuff and use it sparingly
- Use an alternative (like fresh fruit and yogurt) to dress your pancakes/waffles
- Make your own and combine the real stuff with fruit puree
We’re going to do the latter for this recipe. Combining the sweetness of the real maple syrup WITH seasonal berries will extend the amount we have to serve, while also providing some freshness to our dish.
¼ cup real maple syrup
2 cups organic blueberries (frozen or fresh)
- In a small pan over medium-low heat, simmer the berries for about 2 minutes until some of the juices evaporate.
- Add ¼ cup real maple syrup and mix for about 30 seconds. Serve warm over Fluffy Almond-Millet Waffles.
(Feel free to experiment with other seasonal fruit, like strawberries or peaches).
More Healthy Brunch Recipes