Enjoy the oldest, cultivated grain in the world in this nourishing salad. It tastes great warm or cool.
Over the last few weeks, we have been busy here at ELW working with Genentech to get ready for their Wellness Wednesday event. They planned a full day of activities for their employees – including everything from yoga to tai chi to healthy eating.
And that’s where we came in.
Recognizing the importance of a healthy diet, the folks at Genentech asked us to come and share some of our tips and suggestions for nutritious, packable lunches. The best part is that they all got to experience a few of our tasty suggestions first-hand. Working closely with the Genentech team, we planned a menu of delicious, easy-to-make foods, perfect for a packable lunch or picnic.
Check out what we made. Maybe try a few on your own.
- Kale Chips with Coconut
- Superfood Green Salad with Fun Fixins
- Lemon Dijon Vinaigrette
- Cucumber Ranch Dressing
- Miso Vinaigrette
- Farro Grain Salad with Edamame and Carrots
- Veggie & Chicken Kabobs
- Best-Ever Maple & Honey Granola
- Dark Chocolate Granola Bites
6 cups cooked farro
2 cups cooked beluga lentils
1 cup diced carrots
1 cup shelled edamame
1/2 cup walnut oil
4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
zest & juice of 1 lemon
small shallot, minced
1 tablespoon honey
salt & pepper to taste
- Gently toss the farro, lentils, carrots & edamame together in a large bowl.
- Whisk together the walnut oil, vinegar, zest, lemon juice, shallot, honey, salt & pepper.
- Add the dressing to the farro. Combine until well coated. Season to taste.
Cooking farro: Add 4 cups farro to a large pot. Cover with approximately 2 inches of salted water. Bring to a bowl. Reduce heat and let simmer for 30 – 45 minutes or so. Check it regularly. Cooking times may vary. Should yield around 6 cups.